This was an Early Befehlstiger built in around January-February 1943. It had the new standard turret bin, the S-mine system, 6-part gun cleaning rod, exhaust shields, the rear track cable in a wide layout, and the starter shaft stored on the rear wall. The holes for the driver's episcope were sealed up. There was a spare track rack on the hull front. The mantlet was the unusual wide/thick type. Its container for star antennas was loosely attached to its rear right hull side, and was shorter than the usual one. An as-yet unidentified object resembling a wooden pallet was attached to the left side of the turret bin. The crew habitually kept a square toolbox loose on the glacis plate and hung their steel helmets on the turret bin.