One of the first 20 Tigers issued to s.Pz.Abt. 503, Tiger 101 was the 1. company commander's tank. It was modified to carry a large headlight on the left of its mantlet, which was the standard thickened type. Early on, a wire basket was fabricated on its rear wall to hold jerrycans etc. A famous photo of Kurt Knispel standing in the cupola of this Tiger was published in the German press in 1944.