This Tiger was abandoned and demolished by German forces in August 1943 in Sicily. Now it is being examined by Allied troops. The rhomboid symbol of the 504 battalion, white with a red bar, is on the tank's front lower plate; foliage obscures the number "3" beside it. This Tiger once belonged to the 3rd company, but was sent to reinforce the 2nd company in Sicily.
At the right of the photo we can see a ridge on the lower slopes of Mt. Etna, with a curved forest road leading to it. This ridge is visible from the Pisano district. Behind the ridge we can glimpse the summit of the volcano, as this modern photo shows. The parallax of the two features allows us to draw a line on the map and say that the Tiger is somewhere on it. Another photo of this wrecked Tiger in Sicily tells us that the tank is beside a road; and a search of the area reveals only one road on that line that matches the photos.