This Tiger belongs to the 504 battalion, as we can tell from the font of its tactical number "200". The hill behind it is part of the Covignano ridge, topped by the seminary of San Fortunato, which we can see behind the Tiger's turret. Below it is the luxurious mansion at 28 Via Castellaccio. This Tiger is a relic of a fierce battle to capture that high ground.
Intense bombing, artillery and tank battles raged for two days. Some Tigers, including "200", were concealed on the flat ground to the southeast of the Covignano ridge. A crewman from this Tiger reports the destruction of 7 Churchills and Shermans, without the Allies spotting any of the Tigers. However, there were hours of intense artillery fire on the German zone, and this caused damage to Tiger "200", rendering it immobile.
On 18 September 1944, at 21:30, Canadian troops of the 3rd Brigade began to cross the Ausa river in force. The Panzers had to retreat lest they be trapped with their backs to the ridge. "German tanks could be heard milling about somewhere amongst the vineyards" according to the official Allied history. After midnight, the Canadians secured the northern banks of the river and began building bridges for an armoured advance to the slopes of the Covignano ridge.
It was during this nocturnal retreat, the darkness banished by the Allies' use of massed searchlights, that the 504 battalion were obliged to damage and abandon this immobile Tiger.