This Tiger is a relic of a tank battle in Italy, fought on 17-18 Septermber 1944. German armoured units held positions south of the San Fortunato ridge. Their infantry occupied the ridge and directed the artillery. Canadian forces eventually overwhelmed them and they had to retreat hastily on the night of the 18th-19th. The destroyed this immobile Tiger because they didn't have enough time to tow it. Allied forces used massed searchlights to indirectly illuminate the whole area with "artificial moonlight", so the recovery of this Tiger would have been risky.
Canadian soldiers took this photo. The Tiger is number "200", belonging to the commander of the 2nd company, and it is the second Tiger "200" that the battalion had to abandon in Italy. This one appears to have broken down rather than being knocked out. The tank's turret bin has been blasted upwards but is still attached to the turret, a sign that the Germans detonated a small explosive charge on top of the engine; since the turret is pointing forwards, they may not have bothered to open the engine hatch first.
To the right of the tank we can see the hilltop seminary of San Fortunato, and below it is the mansion at 28 Via Castellaccio.